Division of Electrotechnology and Materials Science in Wroclaw (IEL/OW)
Prof. Jerzy Ignacy Skowroński
was founded in 1948 owing to efforts of outstanding expert, scientist in high-voltage technology Prof. J. I. Skowronski.
Now, it is the only Polish R&D centre that is entirely engaged in technology and electrotechnical materials science. Professional qualifications of scientific and technical staff, over 55 years of experience, dedicated instrumentation for research and measurements, modern machine park assure the high quality of works carried out by the Institute.
Manned with qualified and experienced personnel it has invested in refurbishing its Testing Laboratory and fitting it out with the most modern and advanced equipment. These efforts have resulted in a wide variety of high quality services offered by the Institute, ranging from expert opinions through technological works and experimental productions to testing services according to Polish, European and international standards.According to necessities of dynamic and developing electrotechnical industry Institute offers:
Research and development works
- research, development and research works;
- expert appraisements;
- research services according to Polish and international standards;
- development of know-how and experimental production.
carries out R&D in all fields of electrotechnology. The domains of primary concerns are:
- electroinsulating and constructional materials based on glass and resin composites,
- powder technologies of electroceramics,
- methodology of material research,
- novel piezoelectric materials,
- fuel cells,
- electroinsulating compounds for special applications,
- electroinsulating varnishes and enamels,
- smart and advanced materials,
- applications of electromagnetic fields,
- protection of apparatus and devices against environmental hazards.
The Institute Testing Laboratory received the accreditation No AB 67 through the Polish Certificate Institution PCA for testing technologies and manufacturing components of the following electrotechnical products and devices:
- composite insulators - design and type tests,
- cables and wires ( bare and insulated), electric cables and optical fibers - full and type tests,
- safety equipment (insulating sticks, pliers, catchers, insulating platforms etc).
The accreditation assures also the quality for Laboratory testing of physical, mechanical and electrical properties of the following materials:
- thermoplastics, thermosetting casting elastomers, thermo- and chemohardening resins, electro- and bulding ceramics.
- soft magnetic materials,
- dielectric and electroinsulating materials.
- Design and manufacture of insulators with silicone elastomer sheds for overhead power networks applicable at rated voltage 24, 110 and 220 kV. This type of insulators is particularly well-designed for hard service conditions and suitable for installation in heavily polluted environments.
- Development and manufacture of composite insulators with core made of polymer concrete for wide range of in and outdoor applications. The process of the core manufacturing is low-energy consuming.
- Design and manufacture of electroinsulating products for applications in electrotechnics, such as: epoxy-glass tubes, epoxy-glass rods, electroinsulating sleevings, ceramic materials for electrical industry.
- Development of smart materials having inherent intelligence together with self-adaptive capabilities to external stimuli. IEL/OW has elaborated the technology and production of piezoelectric and pyroelectric cables, smart heating cables, bulk ceramic posistors based on BaTiO3 and soft magnetic materials.
- Design and manufacture of glass and carbon-epoxy composite devices characterised by high strength and low weight, e.g. telescopic, portable radio-communication masts (height -24 m), lighweight containers for pressurised gases.
Electrometer - High Resistance Meter; Keithley; model: 6517A; measurement ranges: 2 V.. 200 V; 20 pA..20 mA; 2nC..2mC; 2·106W..1·1018W. 2.
Precision LRC Meter; Hewlett Packard; model: HP 4284A; measurement ranges: 20 Hz..1 MHz; 1W..100 MW (Z; R; X); 1 pF..10 F; 1mH 100 kH; Q = 0.1..100 000; 3.
Automatic Tester of the Resistance to High-Voltage; Low-Current Arc Discharges for Solid Insulating Materials; Friborg; model:4100; according to IEC 61621;4.
Apparatus for Measurements of Thermal Conductivity of Dielectrics (according to IEC 8302).5.
Chamber for Thermomechanical Tests of Composite Insulators; temperature range from -40 to +50°C; mechanical load 100 kN.6.
Computerised System for Measurements of Dynamic Magnetic Properties of Soft Magnetic Materials; R&J Measurement; model MAG-RJJ-3.0.7.
Weather-ometer (climatic chamber); ATLAS; model Ci65; relative humidity 20-95%; temperature range from -40 to + 80°C; irradiance 0.35 W/m2; xenon lamp: 6 kW.8.
Scanning Electron Microscope; JEOL; equipped with X-ray microprobe.9.
Mechanical Testing Machine; INSTRON; model 6025; equipped with high and low-temperature attachments